Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I have been busy, really...........

I have just noticed that I haven't blogged about knitting recently and it's not like I haven't done any, so this blog is dedicated to recent work.

Well apart from a brief update about Once A Sheep, the shop. Basically there is no update as I still don't have a property. The unit I particularly want is still under offer and I am awaiting a decision from the landlord. So back to the knitting.........

Paul's cousin's wife has had her baby, a girl called Lois. Lovely name and a bonny baby too, all 10lb 6 oz of her! I had knit a wee cardigan for her

but after finding out her birth weight I have quickly knit up a second cardigan a wee bit bigger. Both are knit in the same Patons Smoothie DK which is so lovely to knit with and feels just like bamboo without the "give" and best of all it's machine washable. I'll be sending these off along with the baby pinwheeel blanket featured a wee while ago.



My brother and his partner and daughter came to visit for a week recently. I realised (too late) that I had not knit anything for Ruby Rose (two and a half years old) so began what I thought would be a quick knit stocking stitch top down cotton smock, Heidi from Yarn Forward. However with 180 odd stitches it turned out to be quite full and has taken rather longer than anticipated. Only the second sleeve to complete now and I can send this one off too.



My June socks were completed in time, though only just and whilst I loved the finished look of them I discovered on Thursday that I had made life very hard for myself by misinterpreting row 7 of the pattern Duh! I think I will knit these gain and compare the correct version to my "designer" version! The photo was taken late at night in bad light, Stephen I am awaiting your photograph which should be much better. These are Kai Mei from Cookie A. Sock Innovations.


I completed my July socks (in the sock a month challenge on Ravelry) which was the Switcheroo sock from Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarns. I didn't continue the pattern onto the foot as I was afraid it would be uncomfortable in a full shoe. The lovely yarn is Natural Dye Studios CHI socks in Sweet Violet. I really like the way these came out. I have used Magic Loop for the last 3 pairs of socks I have knit and love this technique. I think I will give two at a time a go next time. I haven't cast on any more socks yet as I'm trying to finish some UFOs this month.


Talking of which, I am still knitting the Milkweed Shawl in Fyberspates Unicorn yarn. I am about halfway through but put it aside for things with immediate delivery deadlines. This is an easy pattern written in charts and in full which is great for those of us with chart blindness. It is knitting up very pretty but I will save the photograph for when it is finished and blocked.

I also completed, a little while ago (but failed to blog), another unicorn project, The Crest of the Waves scarf. Another very easy pattern and I'm looking forward to some cooler weather so I can wear it out!

And finally Carrie helped me to learn how to crochet a couple of weeks ago and I jumped in feet first and joined a CAL (crochet-along for the uninitiated). It's the Posy CAL designed by Queenieamanda of Natural Dye Studios. I think I may have over-committed on this one and rather than a shawl I might be aiming for a hankie just now!

p.s. sometimes I hyperlink to Ravelry, only members can view Ravelry but I can highly recommend a (free) subscription.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You have been busy , its all beautiful!
    I shall have to try Kai Mei , just to see how I can change the pattern too! lol
    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene McCormack31 July 2009 at 14:00

    Karen, gorgeous work. Will have to try some of the Cookie A patterns after my moderate success with "baudelaire". The booked is waiting, but too many other half-finished garments and queued items to start anything new!!! Regards, Irene

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting